When I first started my web designing business five years back, I didn’t have any experience, customers, money or any clue about building websites. For my first attempt at a dynamic website I bought a book on ASP programming and with the help of the book I built my very own simple content management system. It was really difficult. It took me almost 2 months and cost about $10,000.
Last week we launched a dynamic CMS based website for a client and it took us one day and cost $299.
Back in 2006, it was rather difficult to build a website and you pretty much had to be a web developer to do it. Open source programs hadn’t yet taken off. Most of the websites were custom programmed by the web developers. If at all they used a CMS, it would be the ones built by themselves. Either way, you had to be a programming geek if you wanted to build your own website.
Thus many businesses didn’t have dynamic websites at all.
Thankfully the times have changed…
These days it is not really necessary to be a programmer to build a website. After my initial foray into ASP, I tried to find an open source system that I could use; that is when I discovered great systems like Joomla! and WordPress that could be used for back end client websites. I never looked back once I started using these open source systems.
I do have programmers on my staff, however there is no programming required for an average small business website. At least for people like me who are using open source systems like Joomla! and WordPress it isn’t required. All the programming work is already be done for you.
This is the reason why you don’t have to be paying a web developer to build your website. If you are paying for developing small business websites:
1) They either haven’t been using the free systems available and are still stuck in the dark ages coding the site by hand or
2) They are using their own CMS which makes it harder for you to move on if you want to.
While it is rather simple to build a website these days, it is not easy to build a good one. In fact you can argue that as it is really easy to build one, the task of building websites in lots of cases is put back in the hands of the business owner.
Hence there are a lot of self-built websites of average quality in the sea of small business websites. When you combine this with the number of legacy websites online from back in the day, it paints are really grim picture of the quality of sites online. Here lies the opportunity.
In the good old days, you just needed to have an online presence, but now the opportunity is in having a websites that stands out from the numerous average websites with a website that works properly.
So who should you engage?
Now the question is if you don’t want to engage a web developer, who should be responsible for building your website. Building a website requires a lot of different skills, some that can be provided by yourself and some by your provider. Below is a list of ingredients that are required for building a great website.
You are the most important ingredient for building your own website because:
1. One can design a great website only around a goal and you are the only one who would be able to express the strategies for your business.
2. Great websites will give the visitors exactly what they are looking for. You are the only one who will be able to know what your customer wants and how to pull their strings.
3. You will have to exhibit something unique. You will be the person who knows what is unique about your business.
4. You will have to work out a plan with your provider to generate traffic and lots of traffic will come through your own efforts.
1. You have to make sure that your provider is a good designer because great websites will look good.
2. Your provider needs to be flexible and open because you will need CMS that is easy for you to maintain.
3. Your provider needs to know about web promotion and help you to generate traffic to your website.
Using the services of a web developer to build website is close to over. If you wish to take the present opportunity you will need more.